Almond oil is one of the best oils for hair and skin care. It has got lots of nutrients and beneficial properties which make it such a powerful cosmetic ingredient. the results obtained by using almond oil on skin can be comparable to that of many powerful skin care products, sans all the side effects. It can help one get rid of dark circles in weeks. Sweet almond oil is also safe to ingested internally.
Almond oil is extracted from almonds. There are many varieties of almonds, but they are generally classified into two classes.
Almond is actually a drupe, not a nut. It is native to the Mediterranean and Middle East. Presently, the largest producer of almonds is USA, most of which comes from the state of California. Spain too is known for its high quality almonds. Different varieties of almonds have slight differences in taste, and this subtle difference also reflects in the oil.
Let us look into the therapeutical properties of almond oil, both sweet and bitter almond oil. In general, the properties of sweet almond oil and bitter almond oil are similar for topical application. For internal use, only sweet almond oil is used, and there is no point in discussing the health benefits of bitter almond oil because it is hazardous when ingested.
These are the therapeutic properties of Sweet Almond oil .
- Anti-Inflammatory– It reduces inflammation topically and also when ingested.
- Anti-oxidant– Almond oil possesses mild antioxidant capacity.
- Immune Booster– Topical as well as internal application of sweet almond oil boosts immunity and provides robust protection from various diseases.
- Anti-hepatotoxic– Almond oil is known to aid the liver in eliminating toxins. This is also performed by castor oil.
- Emollient– excellent moisturization property. It is used to eliminate excessively dry skin.
- Sclerosant– Used to treat vascular issues like spider veins, hemorrhoids and varicose veins.
- Laxative– promotes defecation and relieves constipation. This laxative action is mild as compared to stronger laxatives like castor oil.
- Analgesic– almond oil is mild pain reliever
- Muscle Relaxation– massage with almond oil soothes stressed and sore muscles.
- Cicatrizant– helps wounds heal faster.
- Anti-dandruff– it dissolves away dandruff from the scalp.
These beneficial properties of almond oil makes it so useful in many personal conditions. It provides several health benefits.
Uses and Health Benefits
Almond oil is a leader among oils for its cosmetic properties. It can be used for numerous problems of the skin, hair and particularly the face.
Almond Oil for Skin
Almond oil can be used for the following skin conditions and also as a general natural skin care ingredient.
- Moisturize the skin – Almond oil is an excellent emollient. It locks moisture inside the skin. So, apply it right after a shower for maximum benefits.
- Treats dry and dull skin – Is you skin extremely dry ? Then sweet almond oil is the best oil for skin massage. It slowly heals dry skin condition. Within a few weeks of regular application, one can see lesser cracks in skin and lesser flaking.
- Chapped lips no more – If you ever happen to suffer from chapped lips, use almond oil instead of the chap stick. You’ll love the results. The best thing about almond oil is that it tastes sweet, unlike the awful tasting olive oil and almost all other oils.
- Get smooth, silky and glowing skin – Almond oil application helps one achieve really smooth skin. The skin becomes more elastic and uniform in texture. There is a mild glow to the skin as well.
- Helps in psoriasis, eczema and other forms of dermatitis – Almond oil may not be able to treat these conditions, but it does help the skin heal faster and better.
- Removes makeup like a boss – Take a few drops of almond oil on a cotton ball and just wipe across your face. All the makeup adheres to the cotton ball. The skin feels really fresh. So, no more washing incessantly to remove makeup.
The Best Massage Oil – Almond oil is widely acclaimed and recognized as the most popular massage oil. It is most widely used by massage therapists. Almond oil has low viscosity ( it spreads easily ), it is thin and light. Small amount of almond oil spreads across a large surface on the skin. It doesn’t get absrobed quickly, so massage therapist need not reapply it.
Almond Oil For Face
On the face, almond oil can be massaged directly to smooth out wrinkles and reduce sagging skin. It is absolute best to treat dark eye circles. Just apply a few drops under the eyes and gently massage the under eye skin. Sleep with the oil still on. Next morning, you may find more than regular waste products exuding from the eye. Almond oil really boosts blood cirulation near the eyes and promotes eyes to cleane better. When done regularly, it can improve dark circles and reduce eye strain. Almond oil is a rejuvenator for the eyes.
Almond Oil for Hair
Just as almond oil is quite useful for the skin, it is excellent for hair health as well.
- Dandruff – In many people, dandruff is aggravated by dry scalp condition. In that case, almond oil really helps to curb the flakiness. Just apply a very small amount of almond oil directly onto the scalp. make sure to massage into the hair roots. Wash it after 30 minutes. Most of the dandruff should be gone within 3 treatments.
- Dry scalp care – Almond oil can really provide moisturization to dry, parched scalps. If you do not apply a hair oil regularly, then your scalp may suffer from extreme dryness.
- Get shiny hair – Applying a small amount of almond oil to hair shafts increases the gloss or shine of the hair. This works better if your hair is wet. Do not apply large amounts of almond oil because then your hair will be drenched in oil.
- Detangle hair – Dabbing a few drops of almond oil detangles hair. So, one can comb easier. It also prevents hair loss due to tangled hair, which is completely unnecessary.
- No split ends – Small amount of almond oil applied to hair ends gets rid of split ends.
- Hot Oil Treatment for Healthy Hair – Almond oil makes a good hot oil treatment. One can warm this oil and massage on the scalp. Cover the scalp with a shower cap. Leave it on for 2 – 3 hours, and then wash it off with cool water. This provides deep conditioning to hair, making them look soft and healthy. This treatment, done once a week can improve hair growth.
Do not use pure almond oil as regular hair oil. It is still dense enough to be avoided as hair oil. For a hair oil, one should choose very light oils.